I’m not making that up. Apparently January is National Oatmeal Month (NOM!). Not only that, but there is a surprising amount of people online who are really excited about it.
Some “fun” facts about Oatmeal:
- The oat is called a groat after the hull has been removed.
- Oats are a source of soluble and insoluble fiber.
- Oats are a whole grain.
- Oats were the first grain recognized by the FDA to help reduce blood cholesterol.
- Oats contain unique antioxidants and more protein than other common cereals.
- Eighty percent of U.S. households have oatmeal in their cupboard.
- Oats were one of the earliest cereals cultivated by man. They were known in ancient China as long ago as 7,000 B.C. The ancient Greeks were the first people known to have made a recognizable porridge (cereal) from oats.
With all those credentials, it’s no wonder oatmeal gets it’s own month. Personally, I like mine hot in the morning with almond milk and dried blueberries, but I found loads of recipes worth sharing, the best ones (so far) are posted at lijit.com. I’ll start a string on the Promises Facebook Discussion Board for oatmeal favourites if anyone has recipes they want to post. We’ll have our own little NOM celebration!